Monday, November 29, 2010

Thankful

Styrofoam scattered across dusty wood floors, empty boxes, and garland threads.  Christmas decorations donned, lights glittering, stocking hung; I'm left feeling more full than I did at Thanksgiving.  Full of gratitude.

I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people.  Today in the city of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord.  - Luke 2:10b-11

Much like his birth, seemingly common and unnoticed by many, the true meaning of Christmas gets lost.  A midst the bustle of gift buying, decorating, baking, and giving we forget the greatest gift of all.  Quietly born to a young mother and her obedient fiancee, in a dirty, animal filled stable a food trough for a cradle and shreds of cloth for his clothes.  Our Savior was born.

Who being in the very nature of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking on the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.  - Philippians 2:6-7

And I remember you, Jesus.  We tell your story as each nativity piece is set in its place and quietly we are filled with gratitude for you, Jesus, and thankful to you God - what an amazing sacrifice of love.

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts...And be thankful. - Colossians 3:15

God I thank you for the gift of Jesus.  Do not let me loose Him in the busy of this season, but may He be glorified all the more in my words and actions.  May the lights we see remind us that you are the light of the world and we are called to shine for you.  May my attitude be one of thanksgiving in all situations and circumstances.  There is nothing that can compare to the generosity of you God, and I praise you!


1 comment: