Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Love

I watched the concern in her husband's eyes.  I heard the pain in his voice.  I helped him give her a drink, even when she wasn't supposed to have one, because he wanted to do something to ease her discomfort.  And I saw him love her.  Her mortal broken body holding captive the soul of the woman he loved, and so he cared for her.


This is how we know what love is; Jesus Christ laid down his life for us.  And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.  Dear children, let us not love with our words or tongue but with actions and in truth. - 1 John 3:16, 18


As I watched his heart broken and poured out for his wife, I caught a glimpse of how I am loved by God, and how I am to love his children on the earth.  And so I permitted the sips of water, and I prayed silently for the sweet couple who may soon be loosing each other.

Love is patient, love is kind.  It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always hopes, always perseveres. - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7


God forgive the weakness in the way I love others.  Let me first remember Christ and how Jesus was obedient to death so that I may know you and your love.  Thank you for the people you've place in my life that I love and that love me.  Help me to love them with a 1 Corinthians kind of love.

1 comment: