Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fishy

September storms - Karen Johnson

Website for this image

bbc.co.uk
All your waves and breakers swept over me, in the the very heart of the seas, the current swirled about.  The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me...to the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. - Jonah 2:3, 5, 6 (paraphrase)


Sometimes life feels like a raging sea.  Tasks, people, responsibilities pulling us like a current - swirling, sinking and loosing control.

But the Lord provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish for three days and three nights - From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. - Jonah 2:17-3:1


I fear I've replaced the real story of Jonah with the veggie tale version.  Because this is the first time I've ever realized that the fish was not the punishment, but the grace for Jonah.  The great fish provided Jonah relief from the crashing waves, and solace to call out to God.

But you brought my life up from the pit, O Lord my God.  
And the Lord commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. - Jonah 2:6, 10


In my distress God I call out to you.  I will not let the daily chores of this life weigh me down for the joy of the Lord is my strength (Nehemiah 8:10b).  I will not limit your power God, I will let you work in me and through me.  You provided Jonah with a fish, you will provide rest and strength for me.  I seek you this day, help me to remember the story of Jonah -because in it is your power, love, anger, justice, compassion and grace.  You are good and you are my God.  



No comments:

Post a Comment