Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Give it away

We love because he first loved us. - 1 John 4:19

He couldn't understand why he had to give up his Wii time with daddy to go shopping.  Bundling for the cold to brave the over-crowded store.  An attitude so sour it made me pucker.  So gently I explained.  A big-brother with a sick baby sister.  A big-brother whose baby sister is going to die.  A big-brother whose Christmas could be sad.  a big-brother whose mommy and daddy can't afford Christmas.
And then he understood.

Freely you have received, freely give. - Matthew 10:8b

A Christmas for a big-brother, a Christmas for four who planned to go without.  $50.00 for groceries, a warm coat, new shirts and a few toys.  A meager gift compared to the first gift of Christmas.  But one that would bring joy and maybe a little hope.

...It is more blessed to give than to receive. - Acts 20:35b

An empty pocket, a full heart.  So it is!  Much more blessed to give than to receive. 

God, I have received much from you.  Foremost, your overflowing grace and love that comes through Jesus.  Thank you for loving me, thank you for forgiving me, thank you for blessing me.  Thank you for giving us the resources to be able to give to others.  I praise you for the hearts of my children that want to serve and understand you.  May you give us opportunities to teach and lead them.  We give you the glory, may our works reflect your love.  Thank you for loving us first.

No comments:

Post a Comment