Saturday, December 11, 2010

Garbage

We lock it away in bags, it rots away in pits.  We rid our homes of it because it stinks.  But how often do we take out the trash that can clutter our minds, deceive our hearts, and stink-up our life?  I'm not talking about banana peels.

...But each one is tempted when by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed.  Then, after desire has conceived , it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full grow gives birth to death. - James 1:13b-15

Our own evil desires.  My own sinful nature.

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked.  A man reaps what he sows.  The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from the nature will reap destruction, the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. - Galatians 6:7-8

Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you. - James 1:21

Take out the trash.  Rid my mind of the temptations of my sinful nature.  Filter the things I allow into my life, and fill my mind with the seed of the word;  so that what I sow is of eternal value, making my life something worth reaping.

God, thank you for your word which is the wellspring of life.  May your spirit guard my heart and mind, and may I be mindful of the things I allow into our home and in my life.  I want to be a person filled with your word, planting seeds of your goodness in the world.  Guide my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment