Saturday, January 1, 2011

Joe-Christian

While perusing one of my favorite blog sites I read an article about being an "awesome-christian."  As if there's some attitude + servant hood formula that equals a gold-star from Jesus.  What's my ruler, my scale, my gold-star standard?  How am I judging my heart, and to what am I comparing my service? 
Is it?
Me vs. Joe-Christian.   Because if it is; My attitude compared to Joe's, well there's no comparison.  I'm serving more than Joe.  I'm in the Word just as much, maybe more than Joe.  I might even follow the law of the land more closely than Joe.

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Why do you look at the speck of saw dust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? - Matthew 7:2-3

Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. - Proverbs 16:18

When I begin to compare my life to others; I'm not only judging their walk, but I'm neglecting to examine my life against the ONE standard that matters.  I forget that the grace credited to me was not earned, but a free gift.

For who makes you different from anyone else?  What do you have that you did not receive?             1 Corinthians 4:7a

So, when I compare my life to the ONE from whom I received the gift.  It's laughable, the idea that my life could equal much of anything against His.
His life was perfection.  Given fully in obedience to serving, healing, helping, teaching, guiding, loving.
Mine full of imperfections.  Divided attention at best, as the battle of self against spirit wages.

God, please bring to the forefront of my mind areas of pride, and feelings of self-righteousness that I need to release.  May I have an attitude of humility and gratitude to you for the gift of grace.  Give me peace and joy in the relationships I have with others.  Equip me to be a servant of others and a light for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment