Monday, January 24, 2011

Reaction

I make choices everyday.  Coffee or tea? $4.58 from Starbucks or home French pressed?  Apple or Orange?  Self-controlled or Edgy?  Positive or Negative?  Time wasted or Time spent well?  Relationship focused or Task focused?  Information in, choice made.
And the absence of choosing is in itself is a choice.

Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins. - James 4:17


It's much more than apples and oranges.  The good I ought to do.

Where do I begin?

Submit yourselves, then, to God.  Resist the devil and he will flee from you.  Come near to God and He will come near to you.  Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded...Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up. - James 4:7, 8, 10


Submit (verb) : to defer to another's judgment, opinion, decision; to yield oneself to the power or authority of another.
I begin by actively putting my will, my plans, and my opinions on hold- until they are congruent with Gods.  I yield myself to the unfathomable power of the creator of the universe.  I will run with purpose away from the web of lies and temptation the devil spins in this world.  For when I flee the world and draw near to God He promises me He will come near to me.  When I see me for who I am, so small compared to Him, and truly humble myself before Him, He will lift me up.

Do you see the reaction?

He asks us to react.  To be faithful, to choose Him, to defer our ideas to His, to be humble before Him.
And
He will draw near to us, He will lift us up.  


God, forgive me when I choose my own way.  It is a daily process to submit myself to you, sometimes a minute to minute process - Come near to me as I read your word, and stay with me.  Hide your word in my heart and fill my mind with your priorities, opinions and actions.  Give me a meek spirit that I may continually walk in humility before you.  Thank you for your promises, and your faithfulness to carry them out in my life.   Help me react.

1 comment: