Thursday, October 28, 2010

Love Letters

The day long and the night not long enough, I awoke.   My mind clouded, and overwhelmed as my body groaned with exhaustion.  I didn't stop to pray.  There were needs to be met; little bodies to clothe, breakfast to be made, a house to be kept.

"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him, She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.  But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made." - Luke 10:38-40a


Self-focused and distracted by the day ahead of me I neglected the one who loves me more than another.  But it wouldn't be for long.  A note dangled from the bathroom mirror, and it read...

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28
*lay your burdens and stress at his feet.

Tears welled up in my eyes and I stopped to lay my burdens down.  Jesus didn't come over to clean my house, he didn't make breakfast, or help get the kids dressed.  But he gave me a husband who taped notes of scripture all around the house.  He listened to my stress, and he gave me a peace in my heart.

"Martha came to Jesus and asked, 'Lord-don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!'  'Martha, Martha', the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better and it will not be taken away from her.'" - Luke 10:40b-42


God forgive my selfishness.  You know I am a "fixer" a "doer," but God let me first be a seeker.  Let me lay down my stress and allow you and your word to guide me and give me the peace and rest you desire for my life.  I seek you today -

2 comments:

  1. I'm there with you on many a day, Jamie. So often I need reminded of the one who can give me the strength to accomplish what needs done. Thanks for sharing your heart! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for posting! this is reminding me to do this (trying) :) 5 min, sounds like nothing, but man, 5 min is a big goal for me.....love that j does that for you.

    ReplyDelete