Monday, September 12, 2011

Press On

We watched him step after step, mile after mile press on and persevere.  We cheered, we high-fived, we prayed.  We listened as they called his name and we watched him cross the finish line.  26.2 miles - he ran the race.  It didn't come easy, much as life doesn't come easy. 

Blessed is the man who perseveres...-James 1:12a

Life is a marathon; each step requires thought, time, energy, strength and the will to persevere.  And there are obstacles at every turn; threatening to pull us down, discourage our steps, make us quit.

...Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. - Hebrews 12:1-3

Perseverance (verb)- to persist in anything undertaken; maintain a purpose in spite of difficulty, obstacles, or discouragement; continue steadfastly.

There are days I don't want to get out of bed.  But I do.  With my eyes fixed on Jesus, one foot after the other, I press on.  Considering Him and all that he endured, considering His power bottled within me-The Holy Spirit, considering it's Him NOT me, making each step more possible.  I can persevere.

...but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. - Isaiah 40:31

God help me to live in such a way that I can say as Paul did "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith" (2 Timothy 4:7).  Help me to throw off everything that hinders me from running the race you have set before me; be it money, time, worldly perspective, or myself.  Keep my feet from the entanglement of sin.  I am far from perfect and I need the guidance and help of my perfecter - Jesus.  Help me, everyday, to press on.  I will not find my crown here on earth, there is no earthly prize set before me, but there will be a heavenly reward for my earthly perseverance in the faith.  I want to finish, I want to fight, I want to keep the faith.  Jesus, help me.

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of pastor Pete saying "grind it out", "grind it out", even on those days when you don't necessarily feel like it.

    It's not a matter of "feeling" like it, it's a matter of being obedient.

    Thanks for the reminder, J!

    ReplyDelete