Monday, June 6, 2011

Subtraction

As I walk down the road of life I carry the luggage of me.   Memories of heartache, of regrettable past choices, and of questions unanswered fill these bags weighing down the steps of my journey.  Fear of life's unknowns are heavy shackles which encumber each step.  Dirt from the road clings to my skin, stirred up amidst my struggle for control.

"Enter through the narrow gate.  For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But, small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only few find it." - Matthew 7:13-14

The gate is narrow and the luggage of me will not fit.  So, I drop the bags - they will not fit through the gate.

"So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen.  For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." - 2 Corinthians 4:18
"We live by faith, not by sight." - 2 Corinthians 5:7 

By faith, not by sight.  So, through faith I face the unknown and each step is lighter as the shackles crumble.

"...If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.  For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it."
- Luke 9:23-24

Take up my cross;
Die - everyday,
Deny myself - everyday,
Follow Jesus - everyday.
Save my life by losing it - relinquish control. 

"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.  The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20

And so I take myself away.  Before my arms stretch from beneath the warm sheets, before my feet hit the cool wood floors I pray that it would be You living in me.  You in my words.  You in my actions.  You people see.  You, take away me equaling just you.

No comments:

Post a Comment